Great Opportunity for Deputy Safety Officer at Charlton AthleticPeter Houghton
Deputy Safety Officer
Location: The Valley
Closing date: 25th May 2021
Start Date: July 2021
The club under new ownership requires an experienced safety-orientated manager to support the ongoing growth of Charlton Athletic’s Operation.
The role will support existing operational and matchday safety departments to provide a safe and enjoyable matchday experience for fans and staff. To monitor, adapt and ensure the safety practices and processes at the stadium on matchday and non-matchday, are in accordance with the club’s safety certificate and safety policy.
The role will ensure safety policies and procedures are shared with staff and supported by effective training, briefing and monitoring framework.
This position will, when required act as match day Safety Officer, leading and guiding a matchday stewarding team. The position will provide a liaison between the club and supporting agencies, which will include the local council, public health, EFL / FA, police/London Ambulance Service / SGSA, and 3rd party contractors.
- Ensure the safety and security of all staff, spectators, and other visitors to the Valley. Working closely with the Safety Officer, supervisors, and safety team to establish suitable systems and controls.
- Create and implement a robust recruitment and training schedule for all appropriate match day staff in accordance with the National standards as specified in the publication ‘Safety Management at Football Grounds.
- Work collaboratively with other safety managers of the business, ensuring standards are consistent throughout the club, across different sites, and with different departments, which will include matchday operations, 1st Team Men & Women’s, and academy operations
- Undertake risk assessments where required and to maintain records of documents. Ensure safety and risk are considered within all projects and to take an active leading role in safety & risk management and assist in the Fire Risk Assessment survey of the stadium.
- Staying up to date with Covid protocols, creating procedures and staff training, to ensure a safe environment, with effective clearing policy and access controls.
- Ensure effective physical pre-match checks of the stadium, to identify hazards or defect equipment are in place, with an efficient process that rectifies any faults.
- Ensure all Supervisors are fully briefed and have written instructions on their duties and what is expected of them during the event. The brief should include details gathered during pre-event meetings with police and other authorities.
- Maintain detailed records of all matchday and non-matchday safety tests and/or inspections carried out in the ground, in a format to be shared or inspected from any duly authorised person:
MAIN JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
- Significant industry-specific experience (E) with a minimum of NVQ level 4 in Spectator Safety (E);
- Relevant Health and Safety training (E) Ideally with a H&S qualification or working towards one
- Experience of implementing Covid control procedures and systems
- Completed safeguarding training
- Proven people management experience within a facility or venue management environment.
- Experience of working within the sports stadia or events industry would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of monitoring venue control systems such as CCTV, Fire panels, public address systems, turnstiles, fire and safety equipment
- An ability to review the current operation and identify practical areas for improvement or change, seeking out opportunities to enhance the fan experience
- Proactively take on new responsibilities and seek out opportunities to learn new skills.
- Must be able to work with little supervision, and have the ability to make quick decisions in a fast-paced environment, if required;
- To produce and deliver regular match day/event safety expenditure/ budget information to Management.
Charlton Athletic Football Club is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare and protection of children and young people and expects host families to share this commitment. As such, the post holder will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check and risk assessments prior to a placement commencing.
- Applicants must be able to work extended and flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and public holidays.
- Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
- Charlton Athletic FC is committed to following relevant health & safety regulations and all members of staff are expected to be fully aware and adhere to, at all times, the Club’s H&S and fire safety procedures.
- CAFC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development, and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
- Any personal data that you provide to Charlton Athletic Football Club Ltd (data controller) will be processed in line with applicable data protection laws and will be used only for the purpose of recruitment.
- We will keep your personal information for 6 months after which we will erase it. You can always choose to have your data erased earlier by emailing us at email@example.com
- This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is an outline of activity, roles and responsibilities and is open to change.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive we regret that we are unable to respond to unsuccessful applicants.
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply!