West Bromwich Albion – Safety & Security Manager VacancyPeter Houghton
We have been asked by West Bromwich Albion to advise you all that there is a vacancy for a safety & security manager at the Hawthorns. Albion has always been a great supporter of the FSOA with Mark Miles having chaired us for a number of years.
The Hawthorns is a superb stadium and has one or two interesting challenges, so it should be of great interest to any safety officer looking for something different. Get your application in!
SAFETY & SECURITY MANAGER
THE HAWTHORNS, WEST BROMWICH, WEST MIDLANDS B71 4LF
TO BE A DESIGNATED SAFETY OFFICER ON A MATCH DAY AND TO ENSURE THE SAFE AND SECURE OPERATIONS OF THE CLUB.
Rate of Pay SALARY D.O.E – TO BE DISCUSSED AT INTERVIEW
Working Hours FULL TIME. THE POST HOLDER WILL NEED TO WORK ALL HOME MATCH DAYS WHICH WILL INCLUDE EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND BANK HOLIDAYS IN LINE WITH BUSINESS NEEDS.
Closing Date & Interviews CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS FRIDAY 4TH MARCH 2022
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR TO APPLY FOR THIS POST PLEASE SEND YOUR CV AND COVER LETTER VIA EMAIL TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Be one of two designated Match Day Safety Officers for West Bromwich Albion;
2. As a designated Safety Officer to be responsible for the safe operation of:
a. 1st team matches at The Hawthorns;
b. Any youth / U23 / women’s fixtures at The Hawthorns;
c. End of season corporate events where a Safety Officer is required;
d. Any other major event at The Hawthorns.
It is expected that the SSM will work all match days.
3. Review all match day policies and procedures, updating where required. To be undertaken on not less than an annual basis, or where other events dictate otherwise;
4. Ensure relevant match day paperwork and risk assessments are undertaken, maintaining a suitable log / file of relevant information;
5. Complete necessary post-match online reports e.g. FSOA, Premier League and EFL;
6. Completion and recording of necessary pre event checks;
7. Investigate and resolve and relevant complaints;
8. Be part of the club’s Safeguarding Operating Group;
9. Responsible for the management and implementation of match day traffic plan;
10. Ensure full compliance with the General Safety Certificate, SGSA Guide to Sports Grounds and any other current legislation / recommendations as well as any documentation for a special safety certificate if required;
11. Complete the annual SGSA returns;
12. Liaise and work alongside with all key partners. Including but not limited to Police, Fire, Ambulance, Local Authority, Public Health, SGSA, CTSA’s, 1st Aid provider etc;
13. Work alongside the Match Day Operations Manager ensuring the relevant paperwork is submitted to the local authority for the granting of the General Safety Certificate;
14. Club lead on all counter terrorism matters including PROTECT duty / “Martyn’s Law”. To include, but not limited to liaison with WMP / CTSA’s, training and development of relevant polices / procedures both for match days and non-match days;
15. Procure and manage the security contract in place at all of the businesses site e.g. Stadium, Training Ground, Academy;
1. Manage workload of self and staff responsible for;
2. Be a nominated ‘First Aider’ and so take the lead /give appropriate support in emergency situations requiring first aid treatment;
3. A strong communicator who is confident in liaising with other relevant external agencies (e.g. Safety Advisory Group, Sports Grounds Safety Authority, Local council, media broadcasters) where required;
4. Investigate and respond to any post-match correspondence / complaints;
5. To develop good working relationships with both staff (Permanent, part time and contract) and supporters, in doing so upholding the standards of the Customer Charter;
6. Such other duties as may be from time to time assigned, arise or be developed that are consistent with the grade of this post.
7. To carry out all responsibilities with due regard to the Club values and all policies and procedures, in particular Health & Safety, Equality and Diversity and Safeguarding
8. To undertake all required training, including mandatory Club Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding and Health and Safety training.
NUMBER AND NATURE OF STAFF SUPERVISED.
• Match Day staff
1. To deputise for the Operations Director or equivalent if required for which no additional remuneration will be made;
2. The role will be based at The Hawthorns, West Bromwich. There will be a need to visit other sites owned and operated by the business;
3. Duties to be carried out during evenings and weekends, as required, as part of normal operation of the football club. Any additional hours worked will be taken off as lieu when agreed with line manager;
4. To be available out of hours to deal with any problems that may arise.
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and that additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time; or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands
ESSENTIAL AND DESIRABLE CRITERIA
• NVQ Level 4 Spectator Safety Management or working towards
• Experience of Plan Management / Writing
• Experience of managing dynamic crowds
• Knowledge of current issues in safety & security industry (protect duty / Martins Law)
• IT literate
• Outstanding communication skills and personality
• Team player
• Open minded with a view to adopting new practices
• Personal integrity and the ability to invoke trust and respect from others
• Experience of working in large venues
Equality and Diversity
West Bromwich Albion FC is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to provide equality and fairness for all employees and opposes all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
West Bromwich Albion is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk, therefore expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
WBA’s Safeguarding, Equality and Whistleblowing policies can be accessed here
An Enhanced DBS check and references will be carried out prior to appointment in post.